June 12, 2013

Wake Up Call

Anyone that knows me knows that I’m a pretty opinionated person. I tell it like it is. And if I think I’m right about something, which I often think – I think I’m right – and that you’re wrong. 🙂  Here’s why you should listen to me.  I have a Doctorate of Physical Therapy.  I have 4 years of experience as a practicing physical therapist.  I had a massive stroke, survived it, and was left disabled.  I’m recovering from that stroke quite well.  So I kinda know what I’m talking about.  If you have a major illness, Western medicine will only take you so far.  Eventually, you’re gonna have to go East.  Trust me, seriously – trust me.  I’ve been to hell and back.  Western medicine is great for certain things.  Like if you have a heart attack or if your arm gets ripped off – go see a doctor stat.  Doctors know what to do when arms get ripped off.  You probably don’t.  But after the doctor treats you for your arm thing, then what?  Your doctor did his job by saving your life but you have the rest of your life to live.  And doctors aren’t going to help you figure out how to feel better.  Well, maybe they will, but prescribing a pill is not going to fix anything at all, it will just mask the problem.  Everything that medical insurance pays for isn’t always the best option.  You’re going to have to pay out-of-pocket for some things.  This stuff should be covered by insurance, but it’s not right now.  It’s sad that it took a stroke for me to seek out and do the things that would make me happy and healthy.  That’s very sad but that’s usually the way it is.  Most people need some kind of wake up call to learn about this stuff.

1. Jun 12 2013

this is so spot on. i’ve been so disappointed in my care providers lack of focus on what i consider to mean living well, mostly because they led me to believe they were prepared to do that. my assertive nature-like your opinionated one-gave me the chutzpah to find my own way (i wrote a little bit about it here: http://apathtohealth.wordpress.com/2013/06/02/140/). thank you for being more direct about what i’ve been thinking and experiencing.

• Jun 13 2013

You’re quite welcome.

2. Jun 13 2013

Amy,
    You at least have the education and work experience to be opinionated. I’m just opinionated. I will agree with you on Eastern stuff only to the point on mental stuff, not physical.

• Jun 13 2013

The mental stuff is all connected to the physical stuff. Fix the mental, physical gets better.

• Jun 13 2013

Dean, don’t sell yourself short: You’re educated … Self-educated.

• Jun 14 2013

Barb, I am impossibly arrogant about my knowledge

• Barb Polan
          Jun 14 2013

Dean,maybe you are, but Peter Levine told me that you know more than he does about some aspects of stroke, and it clearly bothered him. I think your study makes your “arrogance” justified.

3. Jun 13 2013

I couldn’t agree more. Utilizing all treatment modalities will yield the best results. As a nurse, I’ve seen “alternative”medicine work many times….it can get tricky though. I like “evidenced based medicine”, and not all alternative options are supported by great “evidence”in terms of real research. Anecdotal evidence is not going to cut it, when to “do no harm” is ultimately protected. I’m not a huge fan of medications, unless absolutely needed(I don’t want a bandaid..I want a cure)….and I dislike herbs even more. The minimal research,poor efficacy, and limited oversight in the herbal/supplemental industry is frightening. My approach has always been to use all that you have as long as its safe. I LOVE, LOVE interagrative medicine and see that as ultimately the standard of care. We have a long way to go!

• Jun 13 2013

Yes, we have a long, long, long, long, long way to go.

• Jun 13 2013

A huge road block is the “American way”=qpeoluick fix, resistance to life style changes, and the perception that the doctor is going to “fix you”. An interactive model requires pt. advocacy and proactive involvement. Too many pre. are not up for the work it takes to heal for real.

4. Matthew S.
    Jun 14 2013

My doctors fear me, and rightly so. When I go in, they listen attentively and write up *whatever* I tell them I need. You have to assert yourself for that position, and even more difficult; Challenge them and win. I went to meet a new neurologist months back for follow ups, and referred to the visit as ‘breaking in a new Dr tomorrow’ when a friend asked where I was headed. LOL. I could write a book on how to handle these BMW slaves..

• Jun 14 2013

Breaking in a new doctor…..I like that.

5. Marta Szwaya
    Jun 19 2013

Amy, I’ve been reasding you for some time now.Although I had a hemorhagic stroke , just p31/2 years ago now, and am recovering, but oh so slowly. I always thought from the beginning that I would have to think my way through the stroke, So I returned to work, fortunately had no cognitive issues; that was a blessing to be sure…maybe, I have tons of them, but am in denial…but I think not.I get a bi-weekly massage which has helped me greatly…don’t know why it isn’t part of every stroke recovery plan. It helped me to become reacquainted with my body, and has helped with my faulty proprioception. Marta

• Jun 19 2013

Oh really? I haven’t been getting massages, I’m scared for them to go around my neck and when I tell them what happened and why I don’t want them to touch my neck they look horrified and don’t want to touch me at all. :/

6. Jun 19 2013

Marta: I too had a stroke 3.5 years ago and am improving slowly – even now. I returned to work, but was incompetent, and I envy your ability to go back to it. Amy: I think massages are wonderful – the best treatment for all the tension created by muscles having to fill in for others, plus they relieve spasticity. You could start with craniosacral treatment from a massage therapist (they often go hand-in-hand), then have him/her evolve into massage; all of my PT/OTs have been skilled at massage also. I have gone to randomly chosen masseuses, also (at spas) and when I ask them to avoid my neck (I had a carotid artery dissection), they are ok with that; and I LOVE deep tissue massages – that gets out my muscle tension unlike anything else. Sometimes the pain makes me cry, but I’m ok with that. I just want results.