July 6, 2013

Gray Hair

I found my very first gray hair this morning.  My hair has always been my #1 prized possession.  I am very not happy about this, very not happy.

Read more from Miscellaneous
  1. Jul 6 2013

Enter the world of middle age. I didn’t mind my beard hairs turning gray, when they turned pure white I got Just for Men to darken them somewhat. This morning I used the last of the tubes and must have let it set for too long, now my beard is a regular brown I haven’t seen in 25 years.

• Jul 6 2013

Middle age really? I guess I am, I guess I am in the middle of my ages. Well no, I think I’m in the first trimester of my ages.

• Jul 6 2013

If you haven’t hit middle age then I guess I’m ancient, I thought of it as 30-50, not that any of major years ever bothered me. You youngster you, I’m envious

2. Jul 6 2013

Ha! As my husband says, at least you aren’t losing yours!

• Jul 6 2013

They shaved my head and I woke up bald in the hospital – I was absolutely devastated – because of losing my hair.

• Jul 6 2013

Oh Amy, I hope you didn’t think my comment mean. I only meant that most men start to lose theirs. Believe me, my comment was not meant to be mean.

• Jul 6 2013

Oh my God no. Please don’t worry about that. It’s impossible to offend me.

• Jul 6 2013

Well, I am so glad. Sometimes since my stroke, I will say something that makes sense to me, but may come out wrong! Gee, I think every stroke survivor does this, huh?

• Jul 6 2013

I don’t know about every stroke survivor, but I sure as hell did that.

• Jul 7 2013

I agree w Amy … I don’t know about other stroke survivors, but I certainly have said some appalling things when I used to be very tactful. Oops!

• Jul 6 2013

I woke up bald also, except it had been going on for 30+ years.

• Jul 10 2013

Dean this comment cracks me up. I read it multiple times a day.

3. Barb Polan
    Jul 6 2013

I understand that. Pre-stoke, I let my hair stay natural; I didn’t like being gray, but it was salt and pepper with a great cut and everyone always complimented me about it, so I tried to admire it. Post-stroke I just felt too old every time I looked in the mirror, so one of the first things I did was dye it back to my original color. It’s very cute and easy now, although a little rambunctious.

• Jul 6 2013

My hair is EXTREMELY rambunctious!

4. Barb Polan
    Jul 6 2013

Amy, Amy, Amy, coincidentally this morning I saw my first gray PUBIC hair. Talk about very not happy.

Snort, snort

• Jul 6 2013

You’ve still got pubic hair, Barb? Mine has been pulled out by all those adhesive strip on incontinence pads. I’ve got nice bald patches, but at least I don’t have to see the gray.

• Jul 6 2013

Oh my gosh hahahahaha!! I’m sorry I just find it hysterical that this has turned into a discussion about pubic hair. Hahahahah

• Jul 6 2013

yes, Jo, I still have hair there – after they’ve recovered from Brazilian waxes; the thinness of the regrowth made the gray one obvious. I’m kind of envious of your situation because I think incontinence pads would be a lot cheaper than waxing. Amy, you GOTTA love the turn in this conversation.

I do, I do, I love it!!

• Jul 11 2013

Amy, In my mind that’s what comments are for…the twists and turns.

• Jul 11 2013

Ah Barb, But with waxing you choose what hair you keep. Ooh, an idea for new pubic hair design studio…polka dots.

5. Jul 6 2013

Amy, there could be worse things. You are in your thirties now. I found my first gray hair at 18! I’m still salt and pepper with a great cut more salt than pepper, but then I’m in my 60’s and a grandmother of 8.

• Jul 6 2013

Yeah you would expect some salt on a grandmother of 8. 🙂 Yes you’re right, there could be worse things.

6. Jul 6 2013

I have long salt and pepper hair, and men go nuts over it. One time a guy riding a bicycle screamed out “I love your hair will you marry me” then rode right into a pole . He wasn’t hurt so it was hysterical. One of my best friends stops traffic with her waist length gray hair. It’s the cut that counts, not the color. Never colored my hair, never will. I’m looking forward to having totally white hair. Both my parents did and it was amazing. Embrace the gray. You’ve earned it.

• Jul 6 2013

I love it that you made a guy on a bike ride into a pole, that’s awesome! My new goal is to make a guy on a bike ride into a pole!

• Jul 7 2013

I made a kid ride into the back of a car once, I was working on the top of a church steeple and he was looking up at me but continued down the road.

7. Jul 6 2013

I understand why that’s a turning point and shocking…you’re still pretty young. It’s mostly genetic, and easy to fix though. We’ll see when the time comes, but I’ve always said I will never be gray. Maybe blonde, brunette, or red, but never gray. Vanity was not lost with everything else.

• Jul 6 2013

My father has very few gray hairs at 63 years old. My mother’s entire head of hair is gray. We’ll see who I take after………

• Jul 6 2013

my 25-year-old daughter dyes her hair all colors, and I am always pleased when she has a new color. her hair is naturally a light brown, but she makes a fabulous redhead and a gorgeous blond. she used to go red in the fall and blond for the summer, but her colors are not season-dependent these days. she thinks of hair color as a variable, like a nail polish color, not a given. I envy her.

8. Brittany
    Jul 8 2013

Oh I LOVE this conversation! Amy you crack me up, one little gray hair lucky you. I’ve always had a few since I was like 14, but they weren’t annoying until I turned 30 or so. Funnily enough I used to sit in front of the mirror and yank them out. You would think going through chemo would make me immune to such silliness, the cancer stuff bears no relation to my stroke

• Jul 8 2013

BRITTANY – you had cancer before you had the stroke???????

• Jul 9 2013

At 33 years old???? OH MY GOD

• Jul 9 2013

Agreed. Cancer is an animal all its own…..and way more scary than stroke to me!! I was so thankful when i was diagnosed with a “benign” brain tumor and not cancer. That always remained comforting, even in the darkest spots. At least its not cancer. My roomate in acute rehab, 36 like me at the time, seemed to better than me in the hospital. She died 3 months later. Cancer! Yikes!!

• Jul 11 2013

Elizabeth, You can recover from anything short of death. Having survived four bouts of that scourge, it gives you a whole different outlook on life. Cancer at 27, 30, 41, 45, heart attack at 50, and stroke at 59.

• Jul 11 2013

Wow, Jo, wow.

• Jul 11 2013

Not necessarily. I’m am RN and seen way too much bad stuff. Cancer can depend on what type, where n when. Cancer can be a whole nother animal. Some types are more “survivable” than others. Brain cancer is almost always really bad. When I was first dx with a “brain tumor”, I completely freaked out. Lucky for me, it was not cancer but just a bleeding type. From mri, some MDs said it could be melanoma…..that was scary. I was relieved to have “only had a stroke”, when the pathology report came back, cavernous angioma. Deep breath, sigh of relief!

• Jul 14 2013

Elizabeth, As a retired RN, I know what you are saying. Two years ago when they found mets in my husband’s lungs the doctor said 3 to 6 months. He has a habit of proving them wrong.
                Melanoma sends chills down everyone’s spine.

• Brittany
        Jul 9 2013

At 19 years old… I’ve earned every gray hair I have I think it’s why I was so bitter when I had a stroke.

• Barb Polan
          Jul 9 2013

Brittany, how awful. I have a high school classmate who had a stroke, then found she had ovarian cancer, so she spent her first post-stroke year undergoing chemo. In a fair world, neither of you would have had BOTH a stroke AND cancer.

• Jul 9 2013

Well, I’m pretty bitter about this and I’ve never had cancer! Wow.

• Brittany
            Jul 9 2013

I’ve said that cancer was EASY compared to having a stroke! Because I could walk around when I felt like it. It’s visible so none of that effing souting like that which happpens when people see a wheelchair! I got a lot of oh you’re so young! I met one of my best friends right before I started chemo and I’m such a girl that I wouldn’t let him see me before I moved post stroke. I wanna be like Amy when I grow up, walking and self- sufficient!

• Brittany
              Jul 9 2013

I”ll put a bow on this by saying im gonna shave my head one of these days, the beauty of it is that I really do know it will grow back as long as I am living!

• Jul 10 2013

That’s a heck of a good attitude to have…….my attitude is certainly not that good.

• Jul 11 2013

Brittany are you on facebook? I’m not but I can get on my friend’s account. I wanna stalk you and look up your name. 🙂

• Brittany
                  Jul 12 2013

Go for it!

• Jul 13 2013

There are a few Brittany F—– on Facebook. Studied at Western Illinois University – is that you?

• Brittany
                      Jul 13 2013

Yup!

• Jul 13 2013

I can’t fully stalk you since I’m not your friend on Facebook, I can only see yoir profile picture. You were a cute baby though!

• Brittany
                      Jul 14 2013

That’s a picture of my niece, but thanks!

9. Jul 9 2013

I hate what happened to me, but I’m not bitter. Because I was 52, married, with 2 grown children, plus a job I can do even disabled? Take those away and I’d put money down that I’d be bitter. It’s far worse to have been 20-something and looking ahead to marriage, kids, a career. What happened to me sucks, but what happened to you 30-somethings sucks even more; I can’t imagine.

• Jul 9 2013

I’m A LOT less bitter than I used to be. I’m hoping in a year or so all the bitterness goes away.

• Jul 11 2013

Amy, to keep bitterness away chose to focus elsewhere. For me, it’s a friend who had to have an arm up to the shoulder and a leg up to mid thigh because of a drunk driver hitting her car. She lost her husband in the accident. She has two children under the age of ten. Still she carries on with everyday life. That was three years ago and she is now 27. Hard to carry bitterness in your heart when reminded just how lucky you are.

• Jul 11 2013

Exactly, gratitude is the antidote for bitterness. It could almost always be worse. I always try to remind myself of all that’s going right and how far I’ve come when I’m disappointed about something today. Thankful for every little step of progress, and that I get the opportunity to keep working on what’s messed up.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks