November 6, 2013

Mission Statement

I’ve been told many times that I’m wise beyond my years.  Well you know what, I sure shit am.  A 33 year-old should not know the things that I know.  A 33 year-old should not have had to go through what I’ve gone through in life and learn the things I’ve had to learn.  It’s not supposed to be like this, but it is and I can’t do anything about it.  But you know what, I really think I’m done with all my bad karma and bad things happening to me.  I think I’m done.  I have a mission in life, I know that now.  That mission is to change medicine because let me tell you – it needs to change drastically.  Or at least spend the rest of my life trying to change it.

1. Nov 6 2013

A worthy mission – you can count on my support.

• Nov 6 2013

Thanks. I definitely will be asking to help with whatever is that I do.

2. Clairese Russell
    Nov 6 2013

I hope to become as positive as you seem to be, Amy. thank you for writing this blog.

• Nov 6 2013

You’re welcome. 🙂

Nov 6 2013

I think it would be easier to become ruler of the world. Changing the medical world may require burning it down first.

• Nov 6 2013

Well maybe I’ll try for queen of the world then. If I got that job I’d automatically have some say so about medicine.

Nov 6 2013

Dean, go for it! I’ll help with coup, if there’s a way I can.

Nov 6 2013

Hurrah for Amy. My mission also has evolved from having a stroke.

• Nov 6 2013

What’s your mission now?

Nov 6 2013

To be the writer I was meant to be.

Nov 6 2013

Or world peace.

5. Nov 6 2013

I’m starting small-my community same as you. But right now I’m battling medicare, private insurance, and hospice for my husband’s quality of life. All for an electric wheelchair.

For me being a writer, minister and world peace will do for starters.

6. Jim Sparks
    Nov 6 2013

Very good Amy. Most of us go our entire lives, or at least a major portion of it, without having a mission. And in my opinion, the struggle is just as important as the outcome. Wait, am I having auditory hallucinations or do I hear that song about the Impossible Dream? Is that Robert Goulet?

Nov 6 2013

Nope, nope, nope, that’s Scott Gallagher you’re hearing.

• Nov 6 2013

I only know who Robert Goulet is because of an episode of The King of Queens. I watch too much TV.

• Nov 7 2013

My mission is to braid my own hair, tie my own shoes, put on a pair of gloves, and open a can of cat food with a flip top. The cure for cancer and world peace will have to wait for now.

Nov 7 2013

Julia, depending on the length of your hair, can you goop up each clump with gel or mousse, then try braiding with the clumps pulled forward in front of your good shoulder?

• Nov 7 2013

Thanks, but I don’t use product. Never have. Never will. I don’t color either.

7. scottg
    Nov 6 2013

Great job, Amy, and you’re ahead of me. I was 40 before I finally got over my childhood. Many people never pull up. But when you do, life is just that much sweeter than everybody else’s. And helping others is just a great big bonus too.

• Nov 6 2013

Yeah, if I hadn’t had to learn a bunch of stuff the hard way then……I don’t know.

8. Nov 7 2013

I remain hopeful that I too, will return to my role as a HCP. I LOVED parts of what I did, and really connecting with/empowering the patients I worked with was extremely fulfilling. Healthcare desperately needs smart people that care about what they’re doing. You will be an awesome therapist if you decide to go back to that someday.

• Nov 7 2013

Thanks! What does HCP stand for?

• Nov 8 2013

Health care provider. I’m an RNC, registered nurse certified specialist in maternal newborn nursing and also CLE certified lactation educator. My background, specialty, and passion has always been moms n babies….until I had a brain problem…now I’m fairly expert in brain stuff too.

• Nov 8 2013

Oh well now, I guess I should’ve known that. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the abbreviation HCP.