December 10, 2013

Writing

writing

AND……………………………

fat

1. Lori Knowles
    Dec 10 2013

That’s exactly what my handwriting looks like and it takes me about the same amount of time. It looks like my 4 year old niece wrote it – ha! I keep practicing every day and it has improved some – just have to keep doing the repetitions. I am also working on paper-cutting with an exacto-type knife – it takes even longer.These two skills used to be so precious to me and it kills me how difficult it is now, it’s been life-changing. Thanks for showing that – very inspiring.

I had a left sided carotid artery dissection, not cerebellar, but I think I did have it about the same time that you did Amy. It was April of 2011. I know that every stroke is different, though.

Anyways, you can have a milkshake, just use almond, coconut or rice milk products. I can give you some recipes if you want them!
    Maybe I’ll handwrite them – not!
    -Lori

• Dec 10 2013

It’s frustrating as hell to write. It didn’t really take 3 hours, that was an exaggeration, it took one hour. 🙂
      I want those recipes and I would like them handwritten!

• Lori Knowles
        Dec 10 2013

It would take me about an hour and half because I have to rest my hand a lot. I’m guessing that you are fighting a hand tremor so do you have the same problem?
        My right hand is a curly paw (which is cute on my cats, but not on me) and my index and middle finger do not like to be in a writing posistion – getting them in the right position is exhausting.
        I will send you the recipes in the morning. They’re downstairs and I’m tucked in the bed – and they will NOT be handwritten!

• Dec 11 2013

Yep I have to rest like every 3 words due to the tremor.

• Lori Knowles
            Dec 11 2013

My 2 favorite smoothies that are like milkshakes:

1.) Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
            1 frozen banana
            1.5 cups unsweetened almond or coconut milk
            1 tablespoon raw cacao powder (or you can substitute chocolate almond milk, instead)
            1 tablespoon peanut butter or PB2
            You can also add 2 teaspoons of chia or flax seeds, 2 teaspoons of honey or maple syrup and a bit of cinnamon – depending on your taste.
            Blend it up and if it’s not thick enough, you can throw in a couple of ice cubes.

2.) Cinnamon Bun Smoothie
            1 frozen banana
            1 cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk
            1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
            1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
            1/2 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
            Cinnamon stick for garnish
            Blend the same as above.

• Dec 11 2013

OMG thank you those sound super good!

2. Brooke F.
    Dec 10 2013

Yes! We are dairy free in everyday life. I cook dairy free, we don’t have dairy prods in the house, but once and a while we have a treat… And then my stomach pays the next day. At any rate, it’s always worth it. Who could possibly go the rest of their life without a milkshake!?

A great substitution for icecream is frozen banana “icecream”. You freeze some ripe bananas and then blend them with any kind of dairy free milk you want. I usually add about a 1/4 cup of milk per banana. Maybe a little less. If you don’t have a high powered blender, the food processor works wonders. Add some cacao nibs and you have chocolate banana “icecream”. There are also some great recipes using full fat coconut milk.

Happy shake-ing!

• Dec 10 2013

That sounds really really good! You know, America lies. The International Delights coffee creamers say right on them a “dairy free product” but it’s not. If you look at the ingredients it has sodium caseinate. America lies. And please don’t anyone make a comment “that’s not really dairy because it’s a derivative of milk.” It’s dairy.

• Lori Knowles
      Dec 10 2013

Great recipes!

3. Brooke F.
    Dec 10 2013

P.s has anyone read or heard of the book “The Brain That Changes Itself”? Zack started it today and can’t out it down, I am about 7 Pgs in and already totally fascinated.

Dec 11 2013

Brooke, yes, I read it and was a huge fan until i got to a chapter about monkey research that concluded that the monkeys who lost the use of BOTH arms could actually use their arms because they HAD TO. It implied that if we really needed to, we would be using these immobile halves of our bodies. I put the book down and read no further. I cannot F’ing use my hand, no matter what. IConstraint-induced therapy at it’s worst.

Dec 11 2013

Brooke, sorry, but I was talking about the wrong Book. Yes, I read the book you asked about, but clearly don’t remember it. Sorry.

4. Dec 11 2013

That’s about right for me too. The only thing I write these days are a quick phone # or a grocery list. I have to listen to the voice mail to get all the numbers down and the grocery list takes 2 hours for about twenty items.

5. Dec 11 2013

But thats printing Amy, tweak, tweak.

• Dec 11 2013

Peter once told me I’m the only person that will correct his posts. I feel entitled. 🙂

• Dec 11 2013

Good thing cursive writing is dead.

6. Dec 11 2013

Amy, I am very impressed by your handwriting. It’s actually much more readable than my writing or my husband’s writing. But we are both doctors so we had to undergo years of rigorous training to write as badly as we do. You can’t graduate from medical school if your handwriting is legible. You must be capable of writing prescriptions that cannot be read by pharmacists so that the wrong medication with the wrong dosing schedule is dispensed to the patient. Also, your chart notes must be illegible so that doctors consulting on your patients have no idea what is going on with them and must repeat costly, painful, and unnecessary tests. Finally, your writing on insurance company forms must be suitably unreadable so that your patients are denied coverage. An experienced doctor will make all of this look easy but it really is brutally difficult.

Dec 11 2013

Grumpy cat, lol!! Next time, I’m asking my husband, “does this fat make me look fat?”and see how he responds. He still hasn’t figured out the correct answer to, “does this dress make my ass look fat?” Poor guy.

• Dec 11 2013

Lol, the answer is so simple, just 2 letters.

Dec 11 2013

Seriously, he once said, “it’s not your ass, it’s your belly.” But he loves me anyway, apparently.

• Dec 11 2013